Good wars?

>Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 17:25:03 -0500
>From: Neil Frank <nfrank at mindspring_com>
>Subject: Filamentous algae and generalizations

>Ok folks, please take a breath. I haven't been participating in the APD for
>a while. Is this what it is always like?
>
>I am pretty sure that most of you are saying something meaningful. It is
>just that there is so much babble and you are all talking past each
>other!!! There are also too many generalizations. But this is not new <g>.
>I feel bad for the newcomers to this list who may be getting the wrong
>information.

Hi Neil, Good to hear from you again. Hey, I know they are sometimes
tedious but usually our "wars" (substrate, heating cables, bleach) end up
giving lots of information. For instance, if we'd all just said, "yes,
well, I guess that's right. Bleach is the only way to control FA."...well
then we wouldn't have learned all that neat stuff about filmentous algae
and ways to control it. And you probably wouldn't have posted what you did,
which was very interesting. Of course there was the
"what-colour-is-water-in-a-white-bucket?" war which makes the bleach war
look like a couple of shots in the dark. <g>

Olga
in Vancouver