[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Bleach FAQ

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, BlackNet Runner wrote:
> Hmm, well for a newbies standpoint the bleach treatment could be rather
> harmfull and fatal to the plants, as they often don't know how much
> bleach to add and how long to leave it soaking.  Something that does
> come to mind is why not write a bleach-FAQ and post it on thekrib.com
> and other locations?

You mean, perhaps like this: 

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. To avoid introducing a
new algae type to a planted tank with new plants, a simple bleach dip
seems to work well. Mix 1 part bleach in 19 parts water and dip the new
plant in it for 2 minutes. Immediately rinse the plant in running water,
then immerse it water containing a chlorine remover to neutralize any
remaining bleach. This will kill the algae and only temporarily slow down
a healthy plant. Plants in poor condition may succumb to this treatment,
but they probably would not have lasted anyway."


Has been there from day one.  George wrote it, I beleive. :)

  - Erik

Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com