Filamentous algae and generalizations

Ok folks, please take a breath. I haven't been participating in the APD for
a while. Is this what it is always like?

I am pretty sure that most of you are saying something meaningful. It is
just that there is so much babble and you are all talking past each
other!!! There are also too many generalizations. But this is not new <g>.
I feel bad for the newcomers to this list who may be getting the wrong
information.

Since there are so many imbedded comments , I will not attempt to make
attributions.....

>>> There IS a 100% sure method of keeping filament algae out of a tank.

>> >  Just so

With tougher filament algae, its even MORE difficult to get
>>> anything to eat it. What eats Cladophora? The stuff is like
>horsehair??

>If
>>> you have a thick mess of Spyrogyra, its very very difficult to keep
>>> other fish alive and keep algae eating fish hungry enough to consume
>the
>>> mess.

>Yes, I know, I know, I know... filament algae...[snip]...  You have seen
with your own
>eyes my 50 gallon aquarium covered in long green slimy well attached
>filament algae... it was beautiful, light green , flowing in the
current... Guess that
>means that bleach ISN'T the ONLY effective way to eliminate *filament*
>algae.

There are many types of filamentous algae. The various names in use only
contribute to the confusion. Aquarium books and articles use names like
horsehair, staghorn, fur, bunch, cluster, beard (sometimes misspelled as
bear), brush and probably others. The scientific literature use names like
Cladophora, Pithophora, Spirogyra, Audouinella, etc.  Because many books
are translations, the common names are not always used consistently.
Unfortunately, scientific keying is not easy either. At least I can't do
it. There are dozens if not hundreds of different filamentous algae that
can find their way into the aquarium or pond. Some are easy to deal with,
others less so. Some are attached (epiphytic), some not. Some are not even
a nuisance or a threat to the health of the tank (perhaps, like the
beautiful, light green , flowing one).

>>> But limiting
>>> nutrients alone will never make a thick mess of filament algae die.

True. But it can be eliminated by first significantly reducing the size of
the matt and _then_ significantly reducing one or more nutrients in the
water column. It either feeds off itself or the water. It is that simple.
Increasing circulation will also prevent local build up of nutrients.

The same treatment will work on Cladophora. This is an unattached algae. It
is only a problem for tanks with high nutrients and without water
circulation. It crops up in one of my tanks when the power head or filter
is clogged.

>One question, do you bleach your arms, hand, tools and keep the tanks
>from splashing water on each other?

I know for a fact that some aquatic plant nursury owners insist that hands
and arms be cleaned with a mild chlorox/antiseptic solution to prevent
transfer of algae or pathogens from one outdoor tank to another. I soak my
nets and tools that were placed in my one tank with BBA. [yes, I have
one.... it is for experimenting]

> My theory on this is forget it, make
>it as painless, effecient and easy as possible, i.e. use the KISS
>principal (Keep it Simple Stupid)

Maybe this principle should also be used when posting on the APD <g>

Neil