Banana Plants

FORWARDED MESSAGE:

>From: "Dakota" <dakota at star-telegram_com>
>To: <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
>Subject: Banana Plants

>Hello and Happy New Year to all....A while back someone was talking about
their Banana Plants and I dont know if anyone answered. I have some Banana
Plants tht are flowering and was wondering if anyone on the list had
experience with propagating them. The flowers are above the waterline and
white in color. They last for only one day and then die back and fold
underwater. There are about 8 to 10 flower stalks just under each of the 4
to 5 inch Leaves (pads). This is where the roots or tubers start growing. A
few questions, please... These plants are in a 55 gal. tank and there are a
lot of pads,therefor, very many flower stalks that are submerged and I was
wondering if they could be cut off after they die back...Also, when can the
small plantlet be removed from the parent plant ? Any help with this would
be greatly appreciated as I have so many plantlets in the tank that it is
beginning to look like a jungle....Once again Thanks in advance & Happy New
Year !