light interruptions

John Godbey wrote:

> Does it matter if the light for a planted aquarium is not on
> for one solid period of time?  With my aquarium I have the light
> on from 6:00AM to 12AM; off from 12:00 to 3:00; then back on
> from 3:00 to 9:00PM.  Would it make in difference (to the plants,
> the algae, etc) if I left in on for the same amount of time, but
> uninterrupted? (assuming that there is little or no ambient light
> during the "off" periods.)

I use an on off cycle but slightly different than yours:
1) longer intervals between the two on cycles (about 6hrs)
2) 5 or 6 hour on cycles depending on how much photosynthesis
    I want.

The preposition is that since algae can't store the nutrients as well as
higher
plants,  they are more dependent on light and are more apt to die, the
lesser
the amount of light available.

Christopher Coleman
christopher.coleman at worldnet_att.net