Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #755

> Freezing works very well for peas and broccoli, but whenyou
> freeze thing slike brine shrimp and bloodworms whihc are
> essentially little fleshy sace filled with water, the ice
> crystalizes and ruptires cell membranes, not to mention
> the obvious mechanical damage involve din making and thawing
> this stuff. The end result is... juice!

> Put 10 live bloodworms into a tank and they will all
> be eaten. Put 10 frozen bloodworms in a tank and
> maybe 8 are good and nice and fa and red and perhaps
> 2 will be brownish, cut in half and may not ge
> eaten, plus you have some residual blodworm jiuce
> that nothing is going to eat, cannot be filtered
> out and immediatley enteres the ecosystem. Do this
> every day and, well, that juice adds up.

What does it add up to?  If figured it would rot and provide my plants with a
little more nitrate so I wouldn't have to dose it.  I also rinse my frozen food
to get rid of much of the extraneous goo associated with it.  This also allows me
to pick out the less desirable bits.  How much food value is lost in the freezing
process?

> I only feed live food any more. I no longer have
> any algae problems.

What kinds of live foods do you feed and how can I raise them.  I know how to do
brine shrimp, and am planning to use a small spare tank to raise them once I get
my 100 gallon up and running, but I'm not sure how to raise others.

Thanks,

Justin Collins