Re: Ion exchange softened water vs. RO water.

I think someone on one of the saltwater newsgroups explained that
measuring the pH of RO water is almost impossible because there is so
little in it.  Because it has basically no buffering the pH is very
changeable and letting it equilbrate with the air will probably affect it.
True however that the pure RO out of the filter would have the same pH as
the tap going in.  BUt you can change that pH very easily due to no
buffering.  Then add the buffering and you have the pH you want with the
hardness, but no bad guys.

This is a simple way of putting it but basically correct.  If someone
would like to add please feel free as I am no expert.

o    Mike Nielsen                                                        u
m    Department of Geography         THE OPTIMIST BELIEVES WE LIVE IN    ?
a    Harvill Bldg Box #2             THE BEST OF ALL POSSIBLE WORLDS;    w
r    Tucson, AZ 85721                THE PESSIMIST FEARS THIS IS SO      h
e    mnielsen at u_arizona.edu                                              o