Re: Cyano Preliminary Results

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Adam Novitt wrote:

Hmm.  What most of us call cyanobacteria is a dark green or dark blue
green, slimy infestation that forms loosely attached patches over
surfaces.  Not green water.

Green water may be caused by any of a huge number of phytoplankton -
pretty much anything green and small enough that individuals aren't
readily visible.  I haven't heard of anyone actually identifying the
critter that causes the green water, but I think most of us assume it's
some sort of green algae.  Some cyanobacteria would cause the same effect
as might some algae other than the green algae.

At any rate, I wouldn't equate "green water" with cyanobacteria.

Roger Miller