Food, phosphates and test kits

I have read through in the archives about some of these subjects but I don't have any specific answers for what ails me and my 120 gallon aquarium.  I have begun to have some qualms about the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit for Phosphate.  My tapwater registers virtually nil.  My aquarium registers at least 10ppm.  The tank is heavily planted, the substrate contains Terralit.  Ph is 6.8, hardness is 50ppm.  I have been using a trace element mix to supply iron, etc. My nitrate level is less than 10ppm according to the Tetra test and my iron is supposedly about .1mg/l according to the Sera test, which is another kit that I have no faith in whatsoever.  (The solution gets pinker and pinker with time, and reading it at the time instructed indicates little.  I'm going to get a Lamotte, hopefully it is more believable).

Anyway, re:phosphate.  I have read that feeding bloodworms can cause phosphate levels to increase.  What can I feed my spoiled rotten fish that is frozen food but won't have a dramatic effect on the phosphate levels? My clown loaches are not a problem, they will eat anything.  But, by some incredible parenting abilities my Apistogramma borellii have managed to raise about a dozen kids in a community tank and these little fellows will not take flakes, despite the fact that they have been exposed to them from day 1.  (Everyone else eats them).  My understanding is that brine shrimp as the almost only part of the diet will cause deficiencies, so I add mosquito larvae, daphnia and plankton.

Once upon a time I added a phosphate pillow to my canister filter, and it did nothing.  I do a total of 36 gallons of water changing per week, in two sessions, and religiously vacuum the bottom.  I have tried a freeze dried product that I imported from the US for an arm an a leg.  Despite glowing advertising claims it did nothing but coat the plants in powdery pollution.

This aquarium was set up almost exactly one year ago, and it was supposed to be my dream come true.  Instead I find that I spend more time taking care of it than of my children.  Also, it gets plenty of light especially for the type of plants that are in it. - hygrophila difformis, bacopa, cryptocorynes (in the shaded areas) and vallisneria, miniature saggitaria that form a carpet that is almost like sod, and right now and giant mass of java moss which provided a safe haven for the babies which are now at least half an inch long.

So what can I do about the phosphates?  I think they are responsible for my constant, unremitting battle with red brush algae that puts a stranglehold on my saggitaria as soon as they are no longer sheltered by the Java moss.

I know that this is a longish letter, but I have read responses for other people's letters claiming that there was insufficient information supplied for a comprehensive answer.  So I apologize in advance to those who find this too long.

regards

Dr. Momfish