Re: 6 Watts per gallon

In a message dated 12/30/1998 3:00:35 PM Central Standard Time, Aquatic-
Plants-Owner at actwin_com writes:

> Your tank will have 6w/g. Whoa!
>  I think it's way over the suggested limit of 1-5w/g. It depends
> on what you mean by fun: pruning plants every few days;
>  witnessing the most vigorous algae bloom including the usual
>  green spot algae and slim algae; spending money on bulbs and
>  changing them periodically; fiddling with increased
>  fertilization and CO2 injection.

Actually lighting can hit a point were it gives you a negative
return for the investment.  Dependent upon the plant it will
hit a point where it simply cannot use any more light.  Some
plants will actually get "sunburn" from this.  Others would have
just hit the maximum growth possible.

Yes, you will have to fertilize often.  Also CO2 in a small tank
can cause big pH swings unless it is accurately controlled.  The
other positive point is you can reduce on time for lights but if
you reduce it to much you will loose out again.

Try 2 bulbs first if that does not work you can always add the
extras one at a time.

Dennis