SAE behavior

In the last week I have noticed some odd behavior among my SAEs.  Every
once in a while two of them will circle each other head to tail, swimming
very vigorously.  Looks like spawning behavior to me, despite their being
only 3" long (about 18 months old, I think).  And strangest of all, the
pair (but not others in the tank) had nearly lost the longitudinal stripe,
it had turned light grey and splotchy.  Anyone seen anything like this
before????

--
http://www.wcf.com/co2iron