Re: SAEs

> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 15:01:02 -0800 (PST)
> From: cliff at noevalley_com
> Subject: SAEs
>
> I'm wondering, why do the SAE, flying fox, otocinclus
> etc have such similar markings, yet are from a variety
> of families? What is it about the algae-eating niche that
> brings about this evolutionary convergence?
>
> (I don't expect a totally definitive answer.)
>
> Cliff Lundberg
:) Well, I'm no scientist nor pro, so I don't pretend to have a
definitive answer. Here's my speculation: yup, SAEs, CAEs,
flying foxes, and false siamensis all have the striking
black/grayish strip across the both sides of the body. They
look identical. They're from the same country Thailand and
nearby. And they're of the same family. However, ottos have
similar, yet varying strips. They're from Brazil. So I think
all are not of the same family. Beside geographical and
appearance difference, here's another. SAEs and the like depend
on constanting flapping the fins to stay still while ottos
depend on the sucker mouth.

jc