Fish-Plant Interactions?

I have a 30 gal heavily planted tank, 4wpg lighting, DIY CO2, with 3
serpae tetras, 4 otos, 1 small pleco, 8 cardinal tetras, and 6 rummy
nose tetras.  The tank is thriving, weekly pruning required, no algae
problems.  The problem is with the rummy noses, which spend their day
hiding in a heavy clump of H. polysperma in the rear of the tank.
I've had these fish for about a year and a half, but do not have the
enjoyment of watching them except during feeding, when they dart out
into the open area in the foreground and join the frenzy and then
retire again.  Is there something about my aquarium that would cause
them to hide like this?  Is this normal for rummy noses?  Is the
light too bright, heavy vegetation too tempting?  Anyone know what I
can do to draw them out?

Cathy Hartland
in Maryland where it looks like we'll have no skiing again this year