New reader, old algal problem

In a message dated 12/20/98 1:00:04 AM Pacific Standard Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

<< growths of a very dark green-blue agae that was extremely
 strong and wiry in texture.  after pulling some out of the tank one day i
 threw it in the compost heap and after sitting in the sun for a day it turned
 a very vivid hot purple color!  no one could ever tell me what it
was...anyone
 here got ideas? >>
Hey Robert, welcome to the list. Sounds like you're right on the money with
your guess re blue-green algae as the culprit. The resulting color is due to
photosyntheitc pigments otherwise masked... and all preventable/solvable by
reduced nutrients, improved circulation, enhanced lighting, competing
photosynthates (like desireable vascular plants), and to a small degree,
biological controls in the way of predators.
Think about this: how do those old 200 gallon tanks differ from a "good" set-
up you've seen? I.e. one w/o this slime problem?
Bob Fenner