Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #718

At 03:48 AM 12/19/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Tank: standard 75 gallon, All Glass
>Filtration: Millenium 1000
>Substrate: 1 bag flourite, tex-blast to 4"
>Lighting: 2x40w, 48" Coralife ColorMax tubes
>CO2: Ceomat system
>Fish: 50 Cardinal Tetras
>Plants:
>Lilaeopsis (lawn)
>Hygrophila polysperma
>Vesicularia dubyana
>Shinnersia rivularis
>Cabomba carolinia
>Eleocharis acicularis
>The lighting issue has been brought to his attention and he replied that
>when he was a kid, he kept aquatic plants with no water circulation, a
>striplight and no fertilization and they did great--plus, lights cost money
>and you can't sell disply lights for the full markup.  I am still going to
>suggest that we use the 110w 48" Perfecto SHO light strip rather than NO
>flourescents, but expect rejection.

I would go for a minimum of 100w and would use 2 shoplights (4 tubes)
inside a sheet metal hood (custom-fabricated, about $45) and covered with
Contact (plastic "shelf paper").  That should cost less and work a lot
better.   Use 5000K Chroma 50 tubes in there.

PS: Why doesn't he use any stem plants?

--
http://www.wcf.com/wcf