snails and cucumbers

Hi all,

Several people mentioned dropping in cucumber to attract snails and then
lifting them out.  Maybe a stupid question here, but how do I prepare
the cucumber?--slice a piece and peel it?, cook a slice or drop it in
raw, deseed it?---so many ways :)  Also, should it be put in at
night--when they seem to come out?  I have 2 plecos, clown loaches, etc
that I assume are going to eat this as soon as I drop it in, so I'm not
sure the snails will even have a chance at it.
--
Kelly
mailto:apples at midohio_net