hydra attack!

Hi all.  I started a 55 gallon Dutch-style plant aquarium in September.
Everything is growing very well, HOWEVER, I also seem to have a very
nice crop of hydra as well.  (I'm talking daphnia Hell!)

All I can find for remedies are:  Potassium Permanganate; raise the temp
to 104 for one hour, and other seemingly harmful methods.  I'm presently
trying out a suggested remedy of using gouramis (they're ignoring the
hydra even though I'm not feeding them anything).

I'm very hesitant to use anything harsh for obvious reasons.  My Anubias
barteri and Madagascar Lace are thriving beautifully right now.  Also in
tank are:  Rotala sp., Aponegeton crispus, Hygrophila sp., Ludwigia
repens, Nymphoides aquatica, Aponogeton ulvaceus, Salvinia, Myriophyllum
aquaticum, and Utricularia sp..  I am planning to add Bacopa (red) sp.,
Cabomba sp., and Vesicularia dubyana.

Has anyone out there ever experienced a safe cure for hydra???

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Sarah