ew: Proposed CO2 setup for equal addition of CO2 to multiple tanks

Steve Purchase wrote:

> Thanks again to everyone who provided input and feedback
> on my query regarding equalizing the dosing of CO2 to multiple
> aquariums. You certainly are an inventive group.

>What follows is a brief summary of the information I received, and
> my impression of the input.
[snip]

> The Nupro B-4MG2 is described in a number of archived
> posts as being much more precise and accurate, albeit more expensive.
[snip]

> Dr. Dave suggested that I set up the system as a closed "loop",
> wherein an equal pressure of CO2 is provided to each tank.

I believe hardware is sold which would have one input and multiple airline
outputs which I think would acheive the same purpose. I believe this is sold
by beer distributors.  To the extent this type of hardware would have fewer
parts (connections between airlines),  you would illiminate the variablity
from
leaks in the connected area.  A story to drive the point home of potential
severity of the problem: a regulator with "integrated" reducing needle valve
which was integrated in the sense it was screwed onto the main regulator.
I wondered why the CO2 didn't last long between refills.  I used a childs
bubble soap solution to find the supposed leak and sure enough it was at
the "connection" between the main regulator and reducing needle valve. I
tightened only a quarter turn and the problem went away.  The bubbles which
the solution produced were barely visible so even "small"  leaks can have
dramatic  effect.
[snip]

 > .... the tanks will be on differnt levels (2 tanks side by side over 2
> tanks side by side). Would the height difference change the amount
> of CO2 which would flow to the tanks of different levels
I don't know the answer to this but if it is an issue, I would worry more
about the same issue if you use the Eheim check valves as these require
17psi on the input side.
[snip]

>I suppose I could use either sintered glass diffusors (Christopher
>Coleman did a great review of the ADA Pollen Glass and the Eheim
>diffuser which is in the archives), or make counter current reaction
>chambers (similar in effect to the Dupla Reactor "S") powered by
>indivdual power heads. I have such a home made unit in my large show
>tank and it works very well. Any suggestions as to preference of
>one over the other would be appreciated. Christopher, do you think
>that the Eheim unit could adequately supple CO2 to a 30 gallon tank?
Yes, certainly. The Eheim has integrated bubble counter so you could
illiminate yet more connections / additional variables resulting from
leakage for the connections between airlines and seperate bubble
counters. If I am beginning to sould like I hate connections,
its likely from the hard lessons I've learned over the years in my
computer life.  The K.I.S. principle rules. K.I.S as in Keep It Simple.
[snip]

> I feel confident that by using TFC R/O water as my sole source
> of water for this study, and by using commonly available and similar
> amounts of salts (Kent R/O Right, CaCO3 tablets and Sodium
>Bicarbonate
I wonder others opinion on the need for Sodium Bicarbonate.
[snip]

I hope that the following diagram gets through everyone's e-mail programs
O.K. This is how I _think_ the CO2 subsystem should be set up to accomplish
what I want it to. Again, any input/corrections are welcome. Should you wish
to do so off list so as not to bore those not interested, please do so
[snip]

>Notes:
>Check Valve (3) is there to protect the Needle Valve, should anything
>downstream fail.
See my concern abov if use an Eheim check valve.
[snip]

> *** The major difference between this and Eric's setup is the use
> of only a single needle valve (his set up uses multiple NO-1's running
> off the "T" valves before the Reactors)
Though Erik's setup introduces more peices,  it will provide more control
over bubble count, so the effect of any upstream variables which contribute
to CO2 fluctuation become nil.

My more open comment would suggest the use of multiple types of
airline tubing.  Somewhere in a peice of Amano literature it was expressed
that the more upstream airline tubing peices of a CO2 distribution system
should consist of more rigid hosing to compensate for silicone tubing's
tendency to leak.  I have similar tubing as he uses for a (drinking water
TFC RO system at home). The 1/8 inch peices are held together securely
by compressin hardware. In the CO2 distribution system I can see where
this adaptation would yield a system which is flexible at the same time as
it would reduce leaking.  I think this should only be considered if you
anticipate a large distance between your 20# cylander and the other down-
stream parts.

Christopher Coleman
christopher.coleman at worldnet_att.net