Re: Ammonia vs. Ammonium being Ph dependent

Susan,

I think all they are saying is that it's a continuum.  You always get
both, never just one or the other.  At pH above 7 you get gradually more
and more ammonia (NH3), while as it drops below 7 get less and less
ammonia.  The pH determines exactly what the ratio will be.

See a great article by Neil Frank over at

http://www.thekrib.com/Chemistry/ammonia-toxicity.html

From this article, you can see that even at pH's of 8.5, the amount of
"ammonia" (NH3) is only 15% of the total ammonia+ammonium (presumably
meaning 85% is ammonium).  At pH of 7.0, less than 1% is ammonia NH3,
and at pH of 6.0,  0.15-0.25 percent ammonia.

I think what's happening with the books is that they are trying to
oversimplify things in order to get you to remember "high pH dangerous for
ammonia poisoning".  And you have remembered, and are doing the "right
thing" in your tank, but the downside is that you don't get the whole
picture.

On a related note, I have recently been accused myself of not presenting
things on the Krib in "simpler terms" so that beginners understand them.
The accuser at one point said I was doing a disservice by using things
such as graphs and statistical data, which is confusing.  At another point
(on another forum), he chastised me for mentioning that incandescent
lighting *might* work under some situations.  These things, he says,
merely discourage and confuse beginners.  I should just tell people "this
is how much light to use in your tank. Don't use incandescents.  They're
bad."

There's always tradeoffs.  You can guess on which side of the fence I
stand. :)

    - Erik

--
Erik Olson