Re: Yeast problems - fuzz

> Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 12:33:59 -0500 (EST)
> From: Jeremy Dwain Gilliam <gilliam at expert_cc.purdue.edu>
>
> I've tried the yeast method of CO2 injection twice now.  This morning I
> noticed the same problem that I had the last time.  Very small white
> strands accumulate on the side of the aquarium.  The first time that I
> tried CO2 injection the water got so cloudy that I had to completely
> change the water in my 10 gal. tank.  The "white stuff" has a slimy
> consistency, and is in the form of small thin strands.

Jeremy, this type of fuzz is normal on an airstone or in a reactor that
is used with a yeast generator.  Many of us suspect the white fuzz to be
a fungus buildup.  If your tank clouded up and is getting this fungus on
other surfaces, I suspect you're getting yeast solution in your tank.

I recommend cutting the end of the tube inside your generator at a 45
degree angle so fizz droplets on the outside of the tube don't drop down
to the bottom and get pushed up through the tube and into the tank.
Placing a point on the tube provides a place for droplets to run down to
the bottom and drip off without being pushed up the tube.

--
David W. Webb
Live-Foods list administrator