Lead as a sinker... poisonous?

In a message dated 11/27/98 12:58:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

<<
 I've stapled about 50 Java fern leaflets to a piece of driftwood I purchased
 from a LFS.  Any opinions on whether the pound of sheet lead I've attached
 to the wood to sink it will cause a problem? I thought lead was pretty inert
 in a freshwater tank, hence no danger of lead poisoning. >>
Hmmm, yes, the longer you live, sooner or later the same sorts of issues come
around... There are folks (with and w/o mass spec.s) who have speculated that
under reductive circumstances (let's say low(er) pH's, anaerobic cond.s like
inside a rotting piece of wood underwater) that some, enuf lead might well get
into soln to cause metabolic havoc. My real advice is to "get the lead out"
sooner rather than not, and use some other dense material to sink yer
deadwood. Maybe we can have a run of inputs on various wood prep. protocols
aqua-gardeners have found suitable...
Bob Fenner