Tannins

Matt wrote:<<<The water is a dark brown from the tannins released by the
wood. I
don't really want to remove the wood so I'm looking for alternative
solutions to the problem.>>>

Matt, next time it would help if you soaked the drift wood to release the
tannins into something else than your aquarium.
The only thing you can do now is water changes. It WILL get better
eventually. It will take a while but the wood will finally stop releasing
and discoloring your water.
Good luck
Tony Minneboo
mailto:fishingt at angelswest_com
Visit our website for breeding quality angelfish and proven hatchery
supplies.
http://www.angelswest.com