pH decrease with peat?

Hi, I apologize if this is a duplicate message.
I just set up a new tank using peat in the substrate as opposed to peat in
the filter which I had been doing.  However, the pH is still at 7.8 in the
new tank.  It had been steady at 6.6-6.8 in the other tank.
Does anyone know how long it takes for the peat in the substrate to seep
into the water column and decrease the pH?
Thanks in Advance
Joe

Alive without breath, as cold as death; Never thirsty, ever drinking, all
in mail never clinking.Visit Joe's Aquatic Lounge, for a more relaxed and
economical approach to fish keeping! http://members.tripod.com/~SubmarinR