Re: Hydrochloric acid

At 10:06 PM 11/23/98 -0500, George Slusarczuk wrote:

>Contrary to some opinions, gaseous HCl does NOT escape from dilute HCl
>solutions. That has been demonstrated by about 100 years of using
>hydrochloric acid as a standard titrant in chemical analysis.

I had some stains I was trying to get off an aquarium and
washed the inside with HCl. I used a dilute solution from
a hardware store (not the nasty strong stuff dad would get
from work) and the fumes were extreme. It may not "escape"
but as the stuff evaporates, it does give off raw Hydrogen chloride
gas.

--
Richard J. Sexton                                         richard at aquaria_net
Maitland House, Bannockburn, Ontario, Canada, K0K 1Y0       +1 (613) 473 1719