Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #660

At 03:48 AM 11/22/98 -0500, Dave wrote:
>> All I can say is this statement is in line with the known chemical and
>> biological facts concerning EDTA as I've outlined above. If anyone has any
>> evidence otherwise, I would be more than happy to take a look at it.
>
>Well, theres about 50 years of hydroponics and aquatic plant research
>that clearly shows that Fe:EDTA delivers adequate amounts of Fe for
>sustained maximal growth.

It would be really nice if you could give a solid cite for this, preferably
a recent review paper that could educate us all....

>> I'm sorry, I don't follow here. If as you're saying plants only uptake
Fe+2
>> and the chelated iron is Fe+3, then how is the plant going to uptake the
>> Fe+3?
>
>Current thinking suggests that plants attach the Fe:EDTA complex onto
>the membrane and remove the Fe ion. How this occurs is not fully
>understood but it is certainly an effective uptake system.

Actually there is quite a bit of info on this subject (which has been
studied a lot at TAMU (Texas A&M))

http://soilcrop.tamu.edu/homepages/rloepper/publ.htm
http://soilcrop.tamu.edu/homepages/rloepper/PlantFe.htm

HTH.   Dave G