Re: Tank depth

>Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 10:23:45 -0400
>From: "Jim Kozel" <jimkozel at apk_net>
>
>I'm considering purchasing a 110 gallon tank to replace my 75 gallon plant
>tank simply because it's 8 inches deeper than the 75.  It's got the same
>footprint (48" x 18") but it's 30" height would really show off the jungle
>val and rubra swords.  I'm also thinking it would provide lower light at the
>bottom, making it easier for the various crypts, anubias and crispus I've
>got growing.  Any thoughts on the idea?

I would seriously think about trying to maintain a tank of that depth.
Unless you have really long arms, getting to the bottom to plant and prune
will be difficult. I'm 6'2" and a 24" deep tank is as deep as I would want
to go. Spend some time at the fish shop with your arm in the tank to see
"how it fits". Think about a 90g tank instead.

So why would crypts, anubias and crispus find it easier growing in a little
darker environment? Ours do fine in really bright light (2x175w MH in a 24"
deep tank). Besides, it's not so much the depth as the extra shading
provided by  taller plants.
George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  Back on-line! New URL! Slightly new look! Same good data!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/