More Lighting in the Eclipse 6

Has anyone found a way to put more light into an Eclipse System Six. At
present there is only 8 W in 6 gallons. I've looked around and can't find a
way of doing it. There's about 7"x2" of room under the hood to fit any new
lighting into. Is it a good idea to just aim a desk lamp at the tank. I know
the cost of keeping it on 12-14 hours a day would be considerable but I don't
pay for electricity in my dorm. Right now that seems to be the only way to go.
All your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.