Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #655

Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:50:35 -0500
> From: "MJ Switzer" <sunshine at comteck_com>
> Subject: Lighting
>
> The main part of the questions that I needed answered was for suggestions on
> building a canopy and lighting for a 6 foot long by 18inch wide tank. That
> issue I had only 1 answer to. The suggestions on plants for a discus tank
> was just a by the way question and I have already searched the archives.
>
> Here is the new question about plants:
> Does anyone know where I can find the following plants here in the states?
>
> Cyperus helferi
> Eusteralis stellata
> Valisneria "Tiger"
> Cryptocoryne albida
>
> Other names or common names for these plants would also be helpful.
>
> Megan
> sunshine at comteck_com
> www.sunshine.sitehosting.net

Hi, Megan. Frist, are you intrested in open or closed top tanks ? There is an excellent article on a tank just your size in FAMA by Kevin
Osborne on lighting his 150 gal with similar dimensions as your tank. He'd most likly be happy to e-mail you the article (Just drop him a
line and check)?  The plants can be obtained from Pets Warehouse but you'll have to be patient to get these. They are all rare plants and
will be on a backorder list for quite some time. What do you want as far as a final look to your hood/pendant system is a good starting
point then comes the old question "How much can I afford". Most every light system has its good points/bad points. Are your Discus your
primary concern (Breeding ,display only, etc) or plants or both? VHO Ice Caps, Compact FL's, MH's,Quartz TL's, all would do great (with the
MH and QTL no hood- open top aquaria or a very well ventilated enclosed hood that's safe!!) and I assume wood would be the easiest material
for you to work with for the FL's. Again ,Mr. Osborne's article is very good and detailed.Check it out.
Tom Barr