java fern

How long does it take for Java fern to attach itself to a rock?  I tied mine
to an interesting rock over a month ago and it still hasn't attached itself.
The leaves bubble during the day, and I can see a few new fronds starting to
unfurl.

The oldest leaves on the ferns have baby plants on the undersides of them
Yesterday, *someone* (goldfish or pleco) ate one of my baby java ferns that
fell off of the mother plant a couple of weeks ago and I had tied to a rock.
I though java ferns were supposed to taste awful or something, but a couple of
the gf's could have eaten it whole.  I may have to set up a 10L tank as a
nursery for all the baby java ferns and amazon swords.

Thanks in advance for the help.

regards,
bob