Re: iron gluconate

> Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 06:12:21 -0800
> From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>
> What is iron gluconate(C12H22FeO14, 2H2O)? Does it occur naturally?

It's the ferrous salt of gluconic acid...  I think gluconate is one
of those intermediary metabolism thingies that is a step in metabolising
glucose to CO2, water and energy.  If so, it would be found in all aerobically
metabolising critters, with the probable exception of some weird bacteria.
I could be wrong about the above, but at any rate, it's an innocuous compound
of a type called a sugar acid.

> What are its merits and demerits as compared to EDTA and DTPA chelated Fe?

I don't know if it is a chelator.  It is easily consumed by bacteria, et al.

EDTA and DTPA both contain nitrogen.

Perhaps the makers of Flourish can be persuaded to disgorge their reasoning
in using Fe-gluconate in their products.