FW: setting up new tank

Reading the recent post and responses concerning setting up an existing
tank as a planted tank, has inspired questions of my own:

I am going to be transferring my existing plants (and fish) from a 10
gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank. My plan was to drain the 10 gallon down to
about 1/4, take out the rocks, wood and plants- then move the tank to a
temporary location while I operate on the new 20 gallon.
I will of course already have the substrate prepared and ready to pour, as
well as an active biological media (from the old filter + I'll use the
drained water and some of the gravel from the old substrate)
QUESTION: do I really need to keep the other tank up and running to let the
new tank cycle?  Will the fish and the plants - those transferred from the
ten and a grow-out tank be safe?
The lighting will be moderate, two 15 watt aquarium bulbs(upgrades pending)
 (I do have "Start Right" waiting)
Any suggestions, warnings, comments?

Joe Anderson
Alive without breath, as cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking.

BTW my home page is up and running-check out my present tank
JOE"S AQUATIC LOUNGE http://members.tripod.com/~SubmarinR