Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #631

Steve writes:

> In a tank designed to emulate an Amazon biotope, you might try mixing
>  some dolomite into the substrate to supply Ca and Mg needs for Amazon
>  swords. I would also recommend peat in the substrate of a Discus/Amazon
>  tank to help supply humins.

Dolomite is highly soluble.  It would not be long before your Amazon biotope
became a Tangyanikan biotope.

Last year my daughter and I used dolomite in a box filter to harden water as
part of a science fair project.  7 gallons went from 60 ppm to 150 ppm in less
than a week.  That is a lot of hardness.

Bob Dixon