Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #621

In a message dated 11/3/98 4:02:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

<< Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 14:14:24 -0500 (EST)
 From: Jennifer Glover <jglover at wam_umd.edu>
 Subject: Female gouramis

 My local fish store says that fish suppliers only supply male gouramis.
 Is this true?  If so, is there anywhere I can get female dwarf neon blue
 gouramis?  I know that at one time, I have seen male and female, but
 lately I have only seen male gouramis for sale.

 Jennifer Glover >>

This is not true if your store so desires he can order female gouramies with
the males. However most stores now-a-days do not carry them for it is only the
colorful males that sell, I guess most people just want to look at colorful
males and forget about breeding them.
Some of the newer color varieties is is not possible to get females for the
breeders of these want to corner the market and therefore will not sell
females. A very unethical practice in my opinion, however as long as people
are willing to purchase just males I suspect that this practice will continue.
If you want to hit them were it hurts do not buy any gouramies unless they are
sold in pairs.

Keep E'm spawning

John van Rompu