Re: Chlorine

Cliff writes:

> I used to see devices you'd attach to a garden hose between the
>  nozzle and the hose, that you'd screw a jar into, and you'd put
>  liquid fertilizer in the jar, and it would get mixed into the
>  water a little at a time. Could this work with a dechlorinating
>  solution to any advantage?

It's called an eductor pump.  Your mix ratio would be designed for the
fertilizer, and dependent on the delivery pressure and flow rate.  You have to
figure out the designed ratio, the ratio you need, and how much to dilute or
strengthen the sodium thiosulphate in your bottle to get there.

Just keep your water changes down to small, frequent changes, and don't worry
so much.

Someone over the weekend posted that he felt some of the dissolved chlorine in
the tap water would react with the organic chemicals in a live aquarium to
form carcinogens.  However, every medical journal and environmentalist
newsletter I have read that discusses chlorinated organic compunds states that
there are NO naturally occuring chlorinated organics.  They are all
manufactured.  You might get some interaction causing the formation of NaCl,
CaCl, or some other salt.  But the measurable volume of the chlorine will
reduce to its simplest stable form, which is the diatomic chlorine gas
molecule.

Bob Dixon