Re: Chlorine

    [...]
    I> I keep hearing about chloramine, how dangerous it is, and how hard it
    I> is to eliminate, but I suspect that it establishes an equilibrium with
    I> free ammonia and free chlorine.  As the free chlorine evaporates, the
    I> chloramine would them break down to return to the equilibrium, and the
    I> total choramine would then be eliminated in not much more time than
    I> straight chlorine would.

The whole point of chloramine is that it stays in the water longer.  Municipal
water companies add chlorine and chloramine to the water supply to fight of
deadly microorganisms.  Chloramine stays in the water longer, so it can be
used in smaller quantities, saving money.  It has started to replace chlorine
in a lot of water districts.

    [...]
    CL> Are the products of dechlorinators totally benign?

At least the ones you can find in fish shops are.  I haven't heard of
any commercial ones that aren't safe.  If you're asking if they have
some side effects (like the pH-buffers), I haven't heard of or seen any.

    CL> I used to see devices you'd attach to a garden hose between the
    CL> nozzle and the hose, that you'd screw a jar into, and you'd put
    CL> liquid fertilizer in the jar, and it would get mixed into the
    CL> water a little at a time. Could this work with a dechlorinating
    CL> solution to any advantage? Is it necessary to dechlorinate
    CL> before adding the water or can it be done in the tank when
    CL> changing water? Obviously I'm interested in avoiding the labor
    CL> of dealing with buckets.

If you're using a Python or something similar, just drip a little into
the tank while you're refilling, right at the water entry.  Make sure that
in the end, you've added the proper dose.  It won't be as safe as doing it
in a bucket ahead of time, but it'll be much better than not doing it at all.

Carlos E. Munoz
<cmunoz at crystal_cirrus.com>