Java fern

I just attached my Java fern to an interesting rock (after being ridiculed
last week for burying its roots in the sand ;-) with some ugly rubber bands
and string.  How long does it take for the fern to attach itself to the rock
so I can remove the rubber bands and string?  I've got 45w of fluorescent
light in a 20 gallon tank, and overcrowded goldfish that supply lots of CO2
and "nutrients".  The fern is bubbling O2 slightly after the lights have been
on a few hours.  Thanks.

best regards,
bob