Re: Deconstructing an aquarium

John M. Burns asked....

>There have been numerous posts about using silicone to assemble and fix
>aquariums and other things.  My problem is just the opposite.  I want to
>take one apart, a 75 gallon one.  Problem is, I can scrape all the
>accessible silicone out, but that thin seam where the two pieces of glass
>"connect" is impossible to get to.  Does anyone know of a solvent that will
>soften or dissolve silicone (without destroying the plastic frame)?  Any
>suggestions welcome.  TIA.  -John

I read somewhere long ago that toluene and xylene will dissolve
silicone glue. I have used toluene with mixed results. Both are
carcinogenic I believe. Toluene can be bought in a hardware store.
A very sharp thin blade between the panes would seem to be a safer
approach.

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca