RE: Substrate recipes

My experience for aquatic plant growth and substrate is that each plant has it's own unique growing conditions, i.e. plant A may prefer sand and plant B may prefer corse gravel etc..  What I have found also its best to taylor the substrate to meet the needs of it's inhabitants.

In my 20 gallon tank I have the petshop special gravel (medium brownish color) mixed with chiclid slate (tho it's probably disolved by now) and florite gravel.  The plants seem to do wonderfull cept red temple and glossostigma.

A good "recipe" for any plant would be:  1 part research to the evolved conditions and 2 parts TLC.

Ed