Re: Seachem Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer

> From: "Beard, Kelly" <KBeard at comdata_com>
> Subject: Seachem Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer
>
> This ratio is supposed
> to give you a pH of 7.0, but anyway, it gives you 6 dKH.

	Is this a _measured_ KH?  If so, are you sure it _is_ KH?
Measurements of KH are usually just "alkalinity" titrations,
and will measure the total of all anions of weak acids.  If they
claim that a given mix will give a pH of 7.0, regardless of the CO2
concentration in the water, then the main buffering system there
isn't bicarbonate/CO2.

> The problem with Seachem's products is that they rarely state any
> ingredients, so you don't know what you're adding.

	Don't use them, then.

> I want
> the water I'm adding to the tank to be stable, and not missing anything that
> the fish need to be healthy.  If I omit Acid buffer, will I be doing
> something negative?

	It is quite sufficient to use CaCO3 and NaHCO3 to get the GH and
KH you want.  The chances of understanding what is going on are pretty
slim when you don't know what you are putting in.

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada