Plant Clipping Tools

I haven't asked much on this list, mostly a lurker.  Much of the topics are over my head
as a beginner.  I have a couple of 20 gal tall tanks and a Terrarium (which amounts to
two 45 gal talls on top of each other) with a water fall and about 20 gals of fish and
plant space.  My question:  What kind of tools might be best for clipping and trimming.
I tried several tools from around the house.  Just wondered what might be best.  I'm
trying to avoid pulling plants like my Amazon Swords out while trimming.  I end up with
both arms in below the (above) the elbows.  What a mess.
            Bill Morrison