Re: arcillite (sic)

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Write Huntley wrote:

> All this discussion prompted me to see what "arcillite" really is,
> mineralogically.
>
> Guess what? I can't find it! The closest I can find is a material
> similar to laterite called argillite. It is a silica, alumina,
> iron-bearing material produced by long eons of weathering, just about
> like laterite. Maybe containing more silica, the biggest difference I
> see is that laterite does not claim a high CEC. Argillite usually does
> contain considerable iron.

"argillite" is a little used and fairly generic rock name.  It describes
a clay-rich rock.  The related descriptive term "argillaceous" - meaning
clay-rich - is in more common use.

I think "arcillite" is a trade name and may be trademarked.  Arcillite
may or may not be an argillite and it may or may not be argillaceous.

Roger Miller