Re: Heating cable benefits?

Karen writes:

> I have yet to have _any_ substrate "give out" in a planted tank.  So I'm
>  not convinced that tanks without cables can't have very good longevity
>  also.  So far, my oldest substrate is 7+ years.  It's not having any
>  trouble.

Karen, I was under the impression that you are one of those who ocassionally
inserts little clay balls of fertilizer into the substrate.  Please correct me
if I'm wrong.  Doesn't this imply that you are "recharging" the substrate?
This seems to imply that your substrates lose their nutrient value.

Bob