Re: High tech/low tech

>Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:41:55 -0700
>From: "Alysoun McLaughlin" <alysoun.mclaughlin at ncsl_org>
>Subject: Re: High tech/low tech
>
>Here's my personal definition of "low-tech" --
>
>- -substrate purchased from aquarium store
>- -any liquid, tab fertilizer purchased from an aquarium store and added per
>package instructions
>- -no test kits (other than perhaps for pH, hardness)
>- -standard filtration unit (waterfall, canister)
>- -lighting fixture purchased from aquarium store
>- -1 to 2 watts per gallon
>- -no CO2 added
>
>Your thoughts probably vary.  The key to low-tech, in my mind, is
>"pre-packaged" or, at the very least, "requires no scientific knowledge".
>I'd definitely call Substrate Gold "low-tech", but I'd say even kitty litter
>or jobes sticks are "low-to-medium tech", because they require the leap of
>faith beyond "if it's not made by Perfecto or Seachem, it might kill my
>fish".

Allright, I'll byte.  I see problems with equating "pre-packaged" with
low-tech.  I would say that the Dupla gravel heating set is prepackaged.
Is it low-tech?  If you had an all-in-one, ready to run, nuclear powered
aquarium, would you say it's low-tech?

I think it's hard to define "low-tech," and I will let someone else take a
stab at it, but I think low-tech usually goes hand in hand with low-cost.
But that's only because hi-tech stuff usually involves new technology and
costs a lot.

Hoa