yeast and co2

My yeast-co2 sys. is set up in a 2L cranberry juice bottle.  I used hot glue
to seal all of the joints, I have one question though.  The model I designed
my system after has a "bubble counter". I put in the line between the bottle
and the tank, but all I get from it is another place for a possible gas
leak.  Am I supposed to fill the bubble counter with water or what does it
do?
My stock sol'n consists of six cups water, two cups sugar and 1/4 tsp of
yeast.  I also have a hydrometer in the bottle to tell me when to replace
the stock.
Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

   JJJJJJJJJJ
       JJ
       JJ
       JJ