Re: cycling a planted tank

>Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 20:30:31 -0700
>From: "Bev" <bevgreen at cygnus_uwa.edu.au>
>Subject: cycling a planted tank.
>
>With my new 60 gal plantedtank i have a new AQ 300 which i will run on min
>flow, also the return is directl down the tank wall (no surface
turbulance,
>i love these filters cheap, easy to clean, large filter area etc, better
>then the best canister filters if u ask me.
>Should i start the new tank with allready cycled foam inserts or should i
>not?
>If i do then i understand i can add lots of algae eater safely. I really
>want this tank to work out properly.

If you plan on planting heavily at first, then you don't have to add foam
inserts at all.  You can basically handle the filtration in whatever way
you find appropriate for separating particulates and providing water
movement.

If you don't plan on heavy planting at first, you may choose to add at
least one cycled filter sponge just to get the tank seeded with
nitrification bacteria, but be aware that you may wind up with start-up
algae problems if you have bright lighting, few plants, and a functioning
bacterial nitrification system.

--
David W. Webb
Live-Foods list administrator