New tank algae eaters

 George Booth <booth at frii_com> wrote:
>Subject: Re: No "misnomer" no sireee!

>Umm, well, gee, I think I've said to put algae eathers in mere seconds
>after adding the water and plants. It's what I do. Always have. I use
>el-cheapo black mollies at first just in case there is something funny in
>the water although there never has been anything funny in the water. I add
>SAEs and otos and corys and farlowella after a few days.

That's ok George, you're permitted to do the "wrong" thing because you are
experienced. <g> Seriously though, your practices just reinforce the
argument that adding algae eaters to a new tank *is* okay. Farowellas are
"delicate" fish and you obviously would not do this if they regularly died
of starvation or bad water conditions. If algae eaters die when one adds
them to a new tank  it is because they are in bad condition to start with
or the set-up is incorrect. And BTW, for any beginners out there, when we
say plant heavily, we mean HEAVILY. We are not talking about replacing your
one plastic plant with 3 bunches of real plants...but *filling* the tank
with fast growing plants. Quantity is important.

Olga
in Vancouver where it has gone to cloud and rain.