cycling a planted tank.

Hi all,
I am still gathering information before setting up my first planted tank
which will be perfect from the beggining.
Todays question is this,
I have heaps of different tanks with aquaclear 300s on them all have 3 foam
inserts and no carbon/ chem media
With my new 60 gal plantedtank i have a new AQ 300 which i will run on min
flow, also the return is directl down the tank wall (no surface turbulance,
i love these filters cheap, easy to clean, large filter area etc, better
then the best canister filters if u ask me.
Should i start the new tank with allready cycled foam inserts or should i
not?
If i do then i understand i can add lots of algae eater safely. I really
want this tank to work out properly.
Also the Dupla duplarit hear costs 30 dollars Aus (20 amercian) for a
measly 200grams which is suposedly enough for 200 litres?
Is this really the correct dosage for a 60 gal tank?

Regards
Dan Green
bevgreen at cygnus_uwa.net.au