Re: potassium

> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:49:42 -0400
> From: Ken Cova <pwhdad at one_net>
>
> I could use some advice on locating a potassium additive for my plant
> tanks.  I've been using Kent's micro nutrient product which does contain
> some potassium, but I'd like to be able to dose it separately from the iron
> and other nutrients.  At this time I'm not ready to go the full PMDD route.
> Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf product (besides the $Amano$ one) that
> contains only potassium?

Ranging from several life times' supply for a few bucks to several months'
supply for a few bucks:

Around here you can get a 2kg box of KCl (potassium chloride) from garden
plant nurseries.  *Some* ice melters are KCl, but be sure it says so on
the label, because even the "lawn safe" ones may be urea or calcium chloride.
Some water softeners use KCl instead of NaCl.  This should be cheap too.

Less cheap, hydroponics places sell K2SO4.  If you want to dose nitrate at
the same time (your risk), you can buy saltpeter (KNO3 - but sometimes NaNO3
- again, read the label) at drug stores or places that sell stuff for
pickling meat and making sausages.

Not cheap, but nothing like Amano, there's salt substitute for people on
salt restricted diets.  You can find it in the supermarket.  Again, read
the label and determine if it has anything in it other than KCl.

Signed,
Frugal kitchen chemist in Toronto

p.s. For *really* cheap - use ash from hardwood, and mind your pH! :-)