Re: Contact reactions to plants?

Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com,EOL-Inet writes:
>Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 06:56:19 EDT
>From: RomiIy at aol_com
>Subject: Contact reactions to plants?
>
>Hi, a fish-pal just shipped me several aquatic plants for our 40g goldfish
>tank.  Main one I've had contact with is Salvinia..has anyone here ever
>had a
>contact skin reaction to floating plants, Salvinia in particular?  What
>was
>tiny, red dots on my forearm a few hours ago is now swollen, hivey lookin
>areas..yet no itching.

On the subject of reactions with plants I quote an article that appeared
in The Weekend Australian, September 26, 1998:

It is talking about two types of carcinogenic acids in red meat (causing
cancer)

"The other significant carcinogen in meat seems to be a bunch of chemicals
known as polyaromatic hydrocarbons.  These are part of normal life - they
are produced by plants and algae, fires and erupting volcanoes - but they
are also produced in cooked red meat".

So, does the hobby for which we all enjoy increase our chances on
developing cancer? Does anyone know anything more about "polyaromatic
hydrocarbons"?

Regards,
Steve

Steve_Amor at eol_ieaust.org.au            ICQ #20644125

Why not check out my Web Page?
Just point your browser at:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dianeamor