re: steel wool ;)

hmm, I once used steel wool for a source of iron.  Now I use a much
better product that's called ironite (see www.ironite.com) I have a 25
lbs bag on the porch.

What convinced me that ironite is much better is a little experiment
that I did.  I used 2 test tubes and filled both with tap water, in one
I tested  just water by it self (for a basis of change), in the other I
added 2 grains of ironite.  Results?? :) the ironite drove the iron
level WAY high.  Now I use ironite in the tanks after measuring the iron
levels.  These so called "plant fertilizers" that you get in the local
shops are mostly bogus for iron usage.  They may contain iron but not
enought for a densely planted tank, maybe for trace elements..

Ed